Breast Reduction Pittsburgh
Breast reduction surgery applies the arts of plastic surgery to remove breast tissue and excess skin thereby reducing an enlarged or over-sized breast to a more comfortable breast size and shape.
For more information about Breast Reduction, view the Frequently Asked Questions.
Dr. Pautler will discuss all of these options for breast reduction surgery at the initial consultation. For more information or to make an appointment for your initial breast reduction consultation, contact Dr. Pautler’s plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh.
To learn more about breast reduction, contact our plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh, to schedule a consultation.
Testimonial for Breast Reduction
“I am writing this only five days post-op and I wanted to thank you already. You have a wonderful staff and a wonderful heart. It is so nice to have such a supportive doctor! You really prepared me for what I should expectand left me feeling very confident before and after surgery. The breast reduction alone has made me so much happier already and the tummy tuck and
liposuction will only ensure a much easier life (physically and emotionally). If I could only explain the emotional relief I feel: the burden gone, the list of things I can do and wear. Thinking about what life will be like without the ‘DDD’ ball and chain I used to have, brings tears to my eyes. Tears of relief and joy! Thank you so much for making me feel important and special!”
Women may need breast reduction surgery due to:
- Chronic pain – women with extremely large breasts often suffer from upper back and shoulder pain, neck strain with associated tension headaches and the pain of shoulder grooving from bra straps due to the weight of the enlarged breasts.
- Infections – women with large breasts can be prone to rashes or fungal and yeast infections in the area beneath the breast known as the “inframammary fold”.
- Embarrassment – women, particularly young women, with large breasts can feel psychologically uncomfortable or awkward about extremely large breast size.
- Asymmetry – a breast reconstruction patient or a breast lift patient may choose to have breast reduction surgery in one breast to create a more even or balanced appearance to both breasts.
The benefits to breast reduction surgery are:
- Comfort – with breast reduction surgery, women can ease their pain, both physical and psychological, control painful and irritating rashes and infections and achieve the benefits of cosmetic surgery with a smaller but more attractive breast size and shape.
With breast reduction surgery, the following happens:
- Prior to breast reduction surgery – Dr. Pautler measures the breasts to gain a precise determination of how much breast tissue to remove ensuring proportional and shapely results. Dr. Pautler draws a pattern on the breast with the patient in the upright position. Learn more about before breast reduction surgery directions.
- During the breast reduction surgery – breast gland and skin are removed according to the pattern, and the nipple and areola area is repositioned higher on what ends up being a smaller breast mound. The surgery takes approximately three hours (1.5 hours per breast) and is done with general anesthesia. Prior to completion of the breast reduction surgery, Dr. Pautler sits each patient up allowing the breasts to drop to verify the breasts are as symmetrical as possible. She then inserts a small drain into each breast, the incisions are closed and a light compressive bra is placed on the patient all before the patient is awakened from the anesthesia. Learn more about the risks associated with breast reduction surgery.
- After the breast reduction surgery – the drains are removed the day after surgery. Recovery is approximately 4-6 weeks. The light compressive bra is worn during the entire time of recovery. Learn more about after breast reduction surgery directions.
It is the goal of plastic surgery to minimize scarring or make scarring as discrete as possible. In the case of breast reduction surgery, Dr. Pautler will use one of the following breast reduction methods to reduce scarring
- Vertical breast reduction – scars from the plastic surgery are limited to around the areola and an up-and-down scar from the areola to the crease beneath the breast. This is also known as the “Lejour or Hall-Findlay mammaplasty”.
- Wise-pattern breast reduction – this plastic surgery incorporates the scar around the areola, up-and-down from the areola, and underneath in the crease beneath the breast.
View our Glossary of Breast Surgery key terms Here.
FAQs for Breast Reduction
Our Photo Gallery
Before & After Photos
Browse our before and after gallery to gain a better understanding of the results available from Dr. Simona V. Pautler.