Breast Lift Pittsburgh
Breast lift surgery (also known as a mastopexy) applies the arts of plastic surgery to remove sagging skin around the breast area and to move the breast and nipple-areola area to a higher position causing a younger, elevated, more pleasing breast shape.
For more information about Breast Lift, view the Frequently Asked Questions.
If you would like to find out more about breast lift, contact our plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh to schedule a consultation.
View our Glossary of Breast Surgery key terms Here.
Testimonial for Breast Lift
“I believe [Dr. Pautler] is a superior surgeon and is a wonderful choice if you’re interested in a breast lift.”
— Linda B., Pennsylvania
Women may need breast lift surgery due to:
- Pregnancies and Breastfeeding – pregnancies and breastfeeding can alter the appearance of a woman’s breasts, making her breasts appear droopy, elongated or ridden with stretch-marks.
- Natural Nipple Displacement – some women may naturally have nipples that point downward or are placed lower on the breast than they would prefer.
- Breast Augmentation or Implant Removal – some women may require a breast lift when receiving or removing a breast implant to achieve a symmetrical, cosmetically pleasing appearance. Learn more about Combination Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy.
- Gravity – over time, gravity takes a toll pulling breasts to a lower position.
The benefits to breast lift surgery are:
- Youthful Breast Contour – with breast lift surgery, women can return their breasts to a more youthful appearance rather than face breasts that were negatively affected by pregnancies, breastfeeding and gravity.
- Self-Confidence – women with natural nipple displacement no longer suffer psychological discomfort or embarrassment regarding their breast appearance and can become more confident and increase their self-esteem.
With breast lift surgery, the following happens:
- Prior to breast lift surgery – Dr. Pautler draws a pattern on the breast with the patient in the upright position. Breast skin is removed and nipple placement will be done according to this pattern ensuring proportional and shapely results. Learn more about before breast lift surgery directions.
- During the breast lift surgery – breast skin is removed according to the pattern, and the nipple and areola area is repositioned higher on the breast mound. The surgery takes approximately 2 or 3 hours (1.5 hours per breast) and is done with general anesthesia or deep sedation. Prior to completion of the breast lift surgery, Dr. Pautler sits each patient up allowing the breasts to drop to verify the breasts are as symmetrical as possible. In some cases, she then inserts a small drain into each breast, the incisions are closed and a light compressive bra is placed on the patient all before the patient is awakened from the anesthesia. Learn more about the risks associated with breast lift surgery.
- After the breast lift surgery – the drains are removed the day after surgery. Recovery is approximately 4-6 weeks. The light compressive bra is worn during the entire time of recovery. Learn more about after breast lift surgery directions.
It is the goal of plastic surgery to minimize scarring or make scarring as discrete as possible. In the case of breast lift surgery, Dr. Pautler will use one of the following breast lift methods to reduce scarring:
- Donut Mastopexy – the plastic surgery incision is limited to the area around the areola. Donut mastopexies are limited to breasts that need adjustment of nipple height rather than tightening of the breast mound. A donut mastopexy is also used for cosmetic surgery when a wide areola requires narrowing.
- Vertical Mastopexy – also known as a lollipop mastopexy, the plastic surgery incision is around the areola and with an up and down limb to the crease underneath the breast.
- Standard Mastopexy – for additional tightening and lifting the plastic surgery scar is around the areola, up-and-down from the areola, and underneath in the crease beneath the breast.
Dr. Pautler will discuss all of these options for breast lift surgery at the initial consultation. For more information or to make an appointment for your initial breast lift consultation, contact Dr. Pautler’s plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh.
» Click here to download our Patient Consent Form
FAQs for for Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
During the initial consultation, Dr. Pautler will discuss all your options with you. Nipple placement, droopiness and the amount of breast tissue you already have can affect your decision to have a breast lift, breast augmentation, or a combination breast augmentation and mastopexy.
Many factors can affect the duration of a breast lift. These factors include pregnancies, breastfeeding and losing or gaining weight. If you lose a significant amount of weight, the breasts may become flabbier. If you gain a significant amount of weight, the breasts will become larger and gravity will have more of a negative effect. You can have as many breast lifts as time, health and other factors may dictate.
A light compressive bra should be worn for all physical activities to limit negative effects on breast size, shape and elevation. In some cases, especially if you have a large cup size, you should even wear a light compressive bra while you sleep.
Every individual is unique. Some women heal quickly and some heal slowly. In general, skin type determines the quality of the scar. Despite the most meticulous technique, some individuals heal poorly, while others heal beautifully. Age can also play a factor in healing time after breast lift surgery. The older you are the less red and tender your breast lift scars may appear while younger women may have pink or reddish scars that will be tender for several months and may take up to a year to fade. A patient should massage the scars a few times a day with a product such as vitamin E oil or cocoa butter applying pressure while massaging the scars. The pressure during the massage is more important than the type of cream product used.
Our Photo Gallery
Before & After Photos
Browse our before and after gallery to gain a better understanding of the results available from Dr. Simona V. Pautler.