Breast Lift Pittsburgh
Breast lift surgery (also known as a mastopexy) applies the arts of plastic surgery to remove sagging skin around the breast area and to move the breast and nipple-areola area to a higher position causing a younger, elevated, more pleasing breast shape.
Over time, the natural aging process can cause a woman’s breasts to sag and lose their shape (this is known as breast ptosis). Other common causes of breast ptosis are pregnancy, prolonged breast feeding and significant weight loss. Breast lift (mastopexy) is a surgical procedure that not only lifts the breast but also reshapes and tightens the tissue. It can occasionally reduce the breast size if deemed too large or increase the size of the breast by adding an implant when necessary to achieve the desired size. After the procedure, women can expect firmer, more shapely and youthful appearing breasts.
Women may need breast lift surgery due to:
- Pregnancies and Breastfeeding – pregnancies and breastfeeding can alter the appearance of a woman’s breasts, making her breasts appear droopy, elongated or ridden with stretch-marks.
- Natural Nipple Displacement – some women may naturally have nipples that point downward or are placed lower on the breast than they would prefer.
- Breast Augmentation or Implant Removal – some women may require a breast lift when receiving or removing a breast implant to achieve a symmetrical, cosmetically pleasing appearance. Learn more about Combination Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy.
- Gravity – over time, gravity takes a toll pulling breasts to a lower position.
The benefits to breast lift surgery are:
- Youthful Breast Contour – with breast lift surgery, women can return their breasts to a more youthful appearance rather than face breasts that were negatively affected by pregnancies, breastfeeding and gravity.
- Self-Confidence – women with natural nipple displacement no longer suffer psychological discomfort or embarrassment regarding their breast appearance and can become more confident and increase their self-esteem.
With breast lift surgery, the following happens:
- Prior to breast lift surgery – Dr. Pautler draws a pattern on the breast with the patient in the upright position. Breast skin is removed and nipple placement will be done according to this pattern ensuring proportional and shapely results. Learn more about before breast lift surgery directions.
- During the breast lift surgery – breast skin is removed according to the pattern, and the nipple and areola area is repositioned higher on the breast mound. The surgery takes approximately 2 or 3 hours (1.5 hours per breast) and is done with general anesthesia or deep sedation. Prior to completion of the breast lift surgery, Dr. Pautler sits each patient up allowing the breasts to drop to verify the breasts are as symmetrical as possible. In some cases, she then inserts a small drain into each breast, the incisions are closed and a light compressive bra is placed on the patient all before the patient is awakened from the anesthesia. Learn more about the risks associated with breast lift surgery.
- After the breast lift surgery – If drains are needed, they are removed the day after surgery. Recovery is approximately 4-6 weeks. The light compressive bra is worn during the entire time of recovery. Learn more about after breast lift surgery directions.
It is the goal of plastic surgery to minimize scarring or make scarring as discrete as possible. In the case of breast lift surgery, Dr. Pautler will use one of the following breast lift methods to reduce scarring:
- Donut Mastopexy – the plastic surgery incision is limited to the area around the areola. Donut mastopexies are limited to breasts that need adjustment of nipple height rather than tightening of the breast mound. A donut mastopexy is also used for cosmetic surgery when a wide areola requires narrowing.
- Vertical Mastopexy – also known as a lollipop mastopexy, the plastic surgery incision is around the areola and with an up and down limb to the crease underneath the breast.
- Standard Mastopexy – for additional tightening and lifting the plastic surgery scar is around the areola, up-and-down from the areola, and underneath in the crease beneath the breast.
Dr. Pautler will discuss all of these options for breast lift surgery at the initial consultation. For more information or to make an appointment for your initial breast lift consultation, contact Dr. Pautler’s plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh.
If you would like to find out more about breast lift, contact our plastic surgery practice near Pittsburgh to schedule a consultation.
View our Glossary of Breast Surgery key terms Here.
Testimonial for Breast Lift
“I believe Dr. Pautler is a superior surgeon and is a wonderful choice if you’re interested in a breast lift.”
— Linda B., Pennsylvania
» Click here to download our Patient Consent Form